Meet the Doctor
Northwest Prosthodontics - Meet our Specialist in Calgary
Dr. Nimet Adatia, DDS, MS, FRCDC
Prosthodontics is one of 9 recognized specialties in Canada. As a prosthodontist, Dr. Adatia is an expert in diagnosing and repairing badly broken down teeth, as well as missing teeth, with crowns, bridges, dentures, and implants. A large part of her expertise is in dental cosmetics and correcting the functioning of a person’s bite.
Dr. Adatia teaches other doctors inside and outside her practice. She utilizes her extensive training and experience to treat even the most challenging dental situations. She has been delivering cosmetic, implant, and functional solutions to patients for over 10 years. Her commitment to “doing it right” and ability to “handle just about anything” has won her the admiration of patients and other doctors. A big bonus is that Dr. Adatia uses her expertise to prevent big problems from ever happening.
She has been helping patients so they can enjoy eating and smiling again with dental implants since 2006. She utilizes methods of implant dentistry to “rescue” the denture patient and those with debilitated teeth needing complete reconstructions. She also uses sedation dentistry for the fearful patient. Almost all treatment is performed in the same office. This combined with advanced techniques allow even the most compromised individual to return to a life of enjoying dental health. Dr. Adatia’s friendly team is known for their down to earth and non-technical communication style making complex dentistry easy to understand.
As a native Calgarian, Dr. Adatia was awarded her DDS from the University of Alberta. After graduating, Dr. Adatia moved to North Carolina where she completed three years of additional training and received both a master’s degree and certificate in Prosthodontics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH). She is a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada in Prosthodontics.
Dr. Adatia has several years of training and practice in Prosthodontics and surgical placement of implants. She has taught at the University of North Carolina as a teaching fellow, and currently lectures both nationally and internationally on dental implants and prosthodontics. Her interest in implant surgery motivated her to complete one additional year fellowship in implant surgery at UNC.
She is a published researcher and an adjunct reviewer with the Journal of Prosthodontics. She is also a prosthodontic examiner for the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. Dr. Adatia is a member of various different professional organizations, including the Alberta Dental Association and College, the Canadian Dental Association, the Association of Prosthodontists of Canada, and the Alberta Association of Prosthodontists.
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences, University of Alberta
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Alberta
- Masters of Science, UNC – Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Certificate of Prosthodontics, UNC – Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Astra Tech Implant Surgical Fellow, UNC – Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Continually upgrading training, nationally and internationally, to keep up with current trends in dentistry.
Dr. Adatia has been an instructor-lecturer at:
- University of North Carolina Department of Prosthodontics
- Calgary and District Dental Society, Calgary
- Denturist Association of Alberta, Red Deer
- Implant Study Club, Calgary
- Edmonton Study Club, Edmonton
- ASTRA Study Club, Edmonton
- NYDC (New and Young Dentist of Calgary), Calgary
- ASTRA presentations in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Kelowna
- Moderator and Speaker at ASTRA World Congress, Götenburg, Sweden
Published Papers and Abstracts:
- Journal of Prosthodontics 2009
- Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 2009
- Journal of Dental Research 2006
- Journal of Prosthodontics 2004
- Learning and Memory 2000